Linda, Learning Technologies Mentor for the VSB, tries out the Reflector App (10 minute trial mode). The Reflector App is a good alternative to Apple TV. It AirPlay mirrors (wirelessly) your iPad2 (or newer), iPhone 4S (or newer) and the iPad mini onto your PC or Mac computer.
During my trial, I AirPlayed to my district Macbook Air.
Some things to consider:
- does screen casting too. It brings in system audio from the iPad and records in .mov format
- not applicable for Android or Windows devices
- depends on stable WiFi connection
- both computer and iOS device must be on same network to communicate
- both devices need to be using the same WiFi access point as well
- school IT may need to allow TCP ports (see site for specs) to be open to communicate
- $12.99 for single user license (Feb 2013)
- $54.99 for 5 seat license (Feb 2013)
I found the Reflector App very easy to use. Once you’ve gone through the process of getting the application on your computer, all you have to do is:
- Double-click the Home button on the iOS device.
- Access your AirPlay by scrolling the bottom apps to the right until you see the AirPlay pop-up. Turn on Mirroring
- Your iPad (screen and frame) will show up on your computer now.
- Hook up your computer to your LCD projector and now you can walk around your classroom and show content from your iPad on the projector.